Thursday, October 16, 2008

TUF 8 MySpace Experiment

I'm fascinated with how quickly fighters who are on "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show go from relative obscurity to fame in such a short time. I decided to figure out a way to measure just how quickly their fame and popularity increased as a result of the show and the only way I could think of was MySpace. Fighters use MySpace to connect with their fans. Some of the most popular fighters in the UFC have thousands of MySpace friends which allows them to reach out and communicate with all of them very efficiently. For example, Tito Ortiz has 156,027 friends, Chuck Liddell has 105,243 and Forrest Griffin has 93,887.

So before The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 aired, I did a search on MySpace to find each of the 32 contestants' MySpace. I noted how many friends each of them had at the beginning of the show and each week after the show airs, I'm tracking the increase of MySpace friends of each of the contestants (at least the ones that I could find). The fighters that I couldn't find on MySpace, I did a search on Facebook instead. Then I stayed up late one night and made a spread sheet which I posted on the web here.

Right now we are about half way through the season and the top three fighters with the greatest increase in MySpace friends are:

1. Krzysztof Soszynski 551 increase (Facebook group)
2. Junie Browning 484
3. Ryan Bader 384

Keep checking http://www.warmma.com/TUF8Experiment.html if you want to track their progress. Remember, when it comes to MMA, the more fans you have, the more money you can make.

‘Slice’ Investigation Launched from Public Outcry

Anderson Silva Talks Retirement in 2009 (check out the video)

Renato Babalu Sobral vs Matt Lindland Affliction fight likely for January

Events This Weekend:

A Night of Combat Friday on HDnet

UFC 89 Saturday

Long Beach Fight Night Sunday

No comments: